The present church building was opened in 1931 and continues to offer prayer and praise to the glory of God.
We have had a major redecoration and update of lights & heating including multimedia in May 2016
The story of the URC in Sarisbury Green began with the Congregational Church in about 1800. With the country’s population growing rapidly and nonconformity becoming an increasing power for good in the land, a local man, William Reed, began to hold services in his house during the winter months, and in the summer months, in a barn. As the congregation grew it became necessary to provide a place of worship, and a chapel was built in 1803. A branch church was built in Chapel Road in 1878.
In 1881 a church was built in his grounds by Mr. Quinton Hogg (founder of the London Polytechnic) who had become dissatisfied with the building in Chapel Road. This was for the use of the Free Church people of Sarisbury and became known as the ‘Tin Tabernacle’ or ‘Iron Church’.
In 1888 the estate of Quintin Hogg was sold, the church removed in sections and re-erected on the site adjacent to the present building. Looked upon as a temporary building, it provided a permanent place of worship until 1931 when the present church was opened. For many years the church was known as the Sarisbury Free Church, though it was of the Congregational denomination..
After the opening of the new church building the ‘Tin Tabernacle’ continued to be used as a church hall until its demolition in 1967, when the new Church Hall, behind the church in Chapel Road was opened.
Following the laying of the foundation stones on Saturday 15th November 1930, the new church, named after the Rev. William Tidd-Matson who, between 1885 and 1897 spent the last twelve years of his ministry at Sarisbury, was opened on Wednesday 22nd July 1931.
More History of Congregational Church / URC on a leaflet available in church.
|Providence Chapel, Swanwick Lane||The Tin Chapel||The William-Matson Memorial Free Church 1931|